Thursday, August 16, 2012

WE DO NOT USE SLICING PROVOLONE! SLICING PROVOLONE ... IT'S JUST LUNCHMEAT:  After a nationwide tour, Man Vs. Food host Adam Richman has named the roast pork/broccoli rabe/provolone sandwich at Tommy DiNic's in Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market as the best sandwich in America:
Richman's top three included the roast pork from DiNic's; the Yardbird from Slow’s in Detroit, which has smoked chicken breast drenched in mustard sauce, tossed with sauteed mushrooms and slathered with cheddar cheese, piled with bacon; and a chicken conquistador sandwich at Zunzi's in Savannah, Ga., which is basically chicken, Italian dressing, and "secret sauce" along with tomatoes and lettuce on a baguette.

Other finalists looked good, too: a shrimp po’ boy from Domilise's in New Orleans; Al’s Beef in Chicago; the CSS Virginia sandwich at the Black Sheep diner in Richmond, Va.; a roast beef sandwich piled with fries and homemade bechamel sauce from the Big-Ass Sandwiches food truck in Portland, Ore.; an El Toro BBQ sandwich from Phil’s BBQ in San Diego; the seared beef tongue sandwich from the Noble Pig in Austin, Texas; and the lobster roll at the Galley Restaurant & Pub in Naples, Maine.
I don't believe he considered the Denny's ("Now Serving Black People, Because The Courts Say We Have To") offering where they stuffed mozzarella sticks inside a grilled cheese sandwich, however.

7 comments:

  1. bristlesage12:22 PM

    When we were just in Philadelphia, the line at DiNic's was always too long to fit the wait in between bridge sessions.  Too bad, it smelled delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Bell4:29 PM

    At the height of my powers, I used to eat 2-3 sandwiches from DiNic's 2-3 times per week.  It is my humble opinion that the pork sandwich is properly dressed with broccoli rabe and and a mix of hot and sweet roasted peppers but no sharp provolone.  As much as I love sharp provolone, I believe that on that sandwich it turns the whole sandwich into a sharp provolone sandwich when what I want is porky goodness.  For those interested, the companion sandwiches were usually a roast beef sandwich dressed the same way and a pulled pork sandwich dressed the same way.  I would wash the whole mess down with two birch beers.  I'm beginning to think my bypass operation was no fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Bell4:30 PM

    And, the line at DiNic's is never too long.  It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph Finn6:07 PM

    I've decided that lists like these are fliipping a coin among 5 or so top choices, so I'll just say Al's Beef is indeed almost a religious experience.  (Oddly, in Cape May (NJ) last week I had an Italian beef, with jus, in a little restaurant called Crest Tavern that was exceptional, almost Chicago level.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew6:13 PM

    I had the roast pork at DiNic's the last time I was in Philadelphia. It was indeed epic. Best in America? 

    ReplyDelete
  6. No joke, I checked the comments just to see if Jim Bell had chimed in.  It's nice to see that there are still some things you can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim Bell9:59 AM

    Um, Thanks, I think.  If only gluttony weren't a deadly sin...

    ReplyDelete